Category: FAQ

Charities Regulatory Authority

The Charities Act 2009 requires all charitable organisations carrying out activities in the State to be registered with and to provide information relating to their organisation to the Charities Regulatory Authority. This includes both those charities who are, or who are not, registered with Revenue for the purpose of receiving tax back on donations.

There are currently about 8,500 charities registered with Revenue and these can be seen at .

Charities are now required to complete their registration at . The process has been simplified in response to feedback from users. After the basic registration has been done the charity can maintain various information relating to their charity themselves. Depending on their turnover, they may also be required to supply financial accounts.

Staff from the Authority are currently doing road-shows in a very co-operative hand-on fashion explaining the process of registration and answering questions.

This registration process will, in due course, also extend to all schools and to Parent Teacher Associations and other sub-level groups.

More information can be found at .

Deadline• Due date for self-assessed Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax returns for the year of assessment 2014.
• Due date for the payment of any balance of Income Tax for the tax year 2014, if inadequate preliminary tax was paid for 2014.
• Due date for the payment of Preliminary Income Tax (inclusive of USC) for the tax year 2015.
• Due date for the payment of Capital Acquisitions Tax and filing returns in respect of gifts and inheritances taken in the 12 month period ended on 31st August 2015.
• Due date for the payment and return of €200,000 Domicile Levy for 2014.
• Latest date for making contributions to a PRSA, an AVC or an RAC for the tax year 2014.

Some of the above dates are extended to 12th November 2015 if using ROS.

Other relevant dates:

1st November 2015:
Date on which residential property must be held in order to be liable for the 2016 Local Property Tax.

31st December 2015:
General deadline for qualifying work under the Home Renovation Incentive.
Claims for repayments of Income Tax for the year of assessment 2011 must be submitted by this date.

As usual if you have any questions about your tax then contact us.

Can you get tax relief for medical expenses? The answer is yes – and no. You can get tax relief for certain expenses but there are qualifications. Let us be more specific. Firstly to get income tax relief you must be liable to pay income tax. If you are someone with a low income who is not paying any income tax, then you will not get any tax relief for medical expenses.

Next, the medical expenses must generally have been prescribed by a medical practitioner. If you decide to go to a chiropractor for instance, then unless this has been prescribed by a practitioner, it will not be eligible for tax relief.

The normal type of expenses which are eligible are:drugs

• GP fees
• consultants fees
• outpatient fees
• hospital bills
• drugs or medicines prescribed by a doctor, dentist, or consultant
• maintenance or treatment in a hospital in connection with the services of a practitioner
• diagnostic procedures carried out on the advice of a practitioner
• physiotherapy or similar treatment prescribed by a practitioner
• supply, maintenance or repair of any medical, surgical, dental or nursing appliance used on the advice of a practitioner e.g. a hearing aid
• nursing home expenditure

As well as these you can get relief for the cost of gluten-free foods manufactured specifically for coeliacs or “diabetic” products for diabetics. There are other reliefs for certain types of illness or disability too e.g. kidney patients.

You cannot claim relief if the expenses are reimbursed to you e.g. by VHI, but you can claim relief on any unreimbursed amount. Is it better to get expenses reimbursed by VHI or claim them against your tax? The answer is it is better to get reimbursement as you will get 100% of the cost back whereas tax relief will only give you 20% back.

You will only get tax relief on prescription drugs and only up to a limit of €144 per month, i.e. €1,728 for 2014. This will give you relief at 20% which is €345.60.

Dental expenses
You cannot claim for routine dental procedures like a filling or dental hygiene. Your dentist has a MED 2 form which needs to be completed if you want to claim for a dental procedure. Eligible dental procedures are normally ones which cost a lot of money like crowns, root canal treatment and orthodontic treatment.

Rate of relief
Relief on eligible expenditure is given at 20% and is normally shown in the tax credit section of your Notice of Assessment.

Nursing Home Expenditure
Expenditure for accommodation is allowed but not expenditure for a hair-do or other incidentals. 100% of this eligible expenditure is allowed at your marginal rate.

When to claim
A claim can be made at the same time as you are completing your annual income tax return. Otherwise you may claim retrospectively for the past four years only.

What about non-Irish expenses?
Basically, medical expenses incurred abroad will be eligible if they are similar to those that would have been eligible if incurred in Ireland.

The above is a whistle-stop tour of tax relief for medical expenses. As usual, if you have any questions about this area, then please Contact us.